The couple discovered the packages, Tuesday night, Feb. 12. They alerted the Clay County Sheriff's Office, who later found the powder contained inside them was 2.5 grams of fentanyl. Two milligrams of the highly potent opioid a lethal dose for the people of the DEA.
Teresa Gilbertson, who opened one of the packages of fentanyl, said it at first glance. She is not the one who is a godsend, but I have to be a godsend. bag, "Gilbertson said.
The package also contained a note reading: "I love you, call me," Gilbertson said.
Her husband, Roy, was worried about what they were about. "If we had opened a second package," they said. "We were dumb and we were lucky, that is what it boils down to."
Direct skin contact is a potential exposure route for fentanyl, but it is not likely to result in. an overdose. Brief skin contact with the substance is immediately removed.
However, the CDC warns for inhalation of fentanyl powders or aerosols, or can lead to rapid onset of symptoms. Significant exposure to the drug can slow or stop breathing.
Teresa and Roy Gilbertson say their experience serves as a cautionary tale for others. They are particularly likely to be affected by exposure to the drug.
The Clay County Sheriff's Office is now an investigative incident.
Sheriff Mark Empting warnings against touching any unidentified powder or substance in the mail. "It could have been bad, we were lucky it did not," they said. "We have people doing bad things and getting innocent people into it."
There has been a 750 percent increase in packages in the U.S. Postal Service